Snowpiercer (Action/Drama/Sci-Fi) - TNT

Started by Steve, 02/24/18 at 01:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve

TNT orders 'Snowpiercer' series starring Jennifer Connelly, Daveed Diggs

Story Link

TNT says it has ordered a first season of the futuristic thriller Snowpiercer, starring Jennifer Connelly, Daveed Diggs and Mickey Sumner.

"Set seven years after the world has become a frozen wasteland, Snowpiercer centers on the remnants of humanity, who inhabit a gigantic, perpetually-moving train that circles the globe," a synopsis said. "Class warfare, social injustice and the politics of survival are questioned in this riveting television adaptation" of the 2014 film.

The pilot for the show was directed by Scott Derrickson and written by Josh Friedman. Its cast also includes Susan Park, Benjamin Haigh, Sasha Frolova, Katie McGuinness, Alison Wright, Annalise Basso, Sam Otto, Roberto Urbina, Sheila Vand and Lena Hall.

Among the producers on the project are the original movie's writer-director Bong Joon Ho, and producers Park Chan-wook, Lee Tae-hun and Dooho Choi.

"I'm a personal fan of Bong Joon Ho's epic film, and jumped at the chance to honor his original vision, yet expand upon the world and characters with a diverse, award-winning cast," Sarah Aubrey, executive vice president of original programming for TNT, said in a statement. "Science-fiction is the perfect genre to examine issues of race, class, gender and natural resources with thought-provoking and exciting storytelling. Snowpiercer will explore those relevant issues while embarking on a wild, action-filled ride."

2014's movie trailer:

Susan

When 'Snowpiercer' was released as a movie I was undecided about whether or not to see it, time moved on and I forgot about it.
I like the look of this TV adaptation and will definitely be giving it a go. The question is whether or not to now see the movie version before or after this production.  :hmm:

Brian

The movie was very well done, but not something I'd want to see again or in an extended format. Pass for me.

Steve

I'm gonna give it a look but I suspect it's going to go the way of The Walking Dead where they've run out of intense, gripping and shocking stories so they spend entire episodes on character study.

As far as watching the movie first or not, that's a chicken/egg thing. Me personally, I'd watch the movie.
Autocorrect has become my worst enema.

bigguy

Brian

Quote from: Steve on 02/24/18 at 06:41 PM
I'm gonna give it a look but I suspect it's going to go the way of The Walking Dead where they've run out of intense, gripping and shocking stories so they spend entire episodes on character study.

I've got no problem with character studies--time to explore all the characters and the world is a major advantage of TV over movies--but there has to be a plot other than "survive." Walking Dead lost me with the major twist in the cure plot.

Steve

QuoteSnowpiercer is an upcoming American drama television based on both the film of the same name and Le Transperceneige by Jacques Lob, Benjamin Legrand and Jean-Marc Rochette. The project, first rumored in November 2015, was ordered to pilot in October 2016,, and was picked up to series in early January, 2018. While the series is set to air on TNT in the United States, Netflix holds international airing rights. Josh Friedman, who was set as a showrunner, left the project in early stages after a creative dispute, and was replaced with former Orphan Black creator and showrunner Graeme Manson. After another dispute with now-showrunner Manson, pilot director Scott Derrickson refused to return for reshoots, after 'radically different visions' by the new executive.

Steve

'Snowpiercer' series renewed for Season 2 ahead of debut

[hr style="border: 2px inset blue;"]

[indent][span style="border: 1px outset blue;"]Story Link[/span][/indent]

The Snowpiercer series has been renewed for a second season ahead of its debut.

Variety confirmed Wednesday the show received an early renewal and will move from TNT to TBS.

Snowpiercer is based on the 2013 film of the same name, which was inspired by the Jacques Lob graphic novel Le Transperceneige. The series is a reboot starring Daveed Diggs, Jennifer Connelly, Mickey Sumner and Annalise Basso.

Snowpiercer will debut its first season in spring 2020. Deadline said TBS, known for its comedy lineup, hopes to make a successful first foray into drama programming.

"Snowpiercer is the perfect show to kick-off TBS' entry into dramas with intricate storytelling, stunning visuals and first-class acting," TBS and TNT general manager Brett Weitz said.

"We believe in the longevity of this series and that audiences will be amazed by the fantastical world that brings to life such relevant social, political and environmental issues," he added.

Graeme Manson replaced Josh Friedman as showrunner in January 2018. The original film's producers, including Bond Joon-ho and Park Chan-wook, will executive produce the series with Manson, James Hawes, Marty Adelstein and Becky Clements.

(more at link)

[hr style="border: 2px outset blue;"]

Steve

Snowpiercer trailer drops at Comic-Con: 'Be prepared to brace'

[hr style="border: 2px inset #1e90ff;"]

[indent]Story Link

[/indent]

“Snowpiercer is all that's left of the world.”

On a planet freezing all of life as we know it, there is Snowpiercer, the nonstop train which courses through the icy Earth and plays out a brutal, endless social experiment. The TBS series is based on both the original 1982 graphic novel and the acclaimed 2013 film of the same name, directed by Bong Joon-ho and starring Chris Evans and Tilda Swinton.

The trailer showcases the harsh clash divisions and ensuing mutiny that viewers familiar with the story's previous iterations should recognize. In this new version, developed by Josh Friedman (Emerald City), Daveed Diggs plays Layton Well, a prisoner struggling to survive who's given new hope, while Jennifer Connolly takes on the menacing role of Melanie Cavill. Alison Wright, Mickey Sumner, and Susan Park rank among the rest of the large main cast.

The official trailer for the TBS series dropped during the show's official panel at San Diego Comic-Con on Saturday; an intense clip from the second episode was also screened. The conversation, which featured Friedman and cast members including Diggs and Connelly, covered the process of adaptation and what Snowpiercer might look like beyond the first season.

Friedman revealed at the panel that additional characters from the graphic novel would likely appear in season 2. TBS's Snowpiercer contains the “feel of the movie and the ideas of the graphic novel,” in his words.

It's an intense, exciting first look at the new Snowpiercer. As Connelly's Voice of the Train warns, “For your personal safety, be prepared to brace.”

Snowpiercer will premiere on TBS in spring of 2020.

(more at link)

[hr style="border: 2px outset #1e90ff;"]

Steve

[left-indent]'Snowpiercer' series to debut on TNT May 31

The small-screen adaptation of Bong Joon Ho's 2013 dystopian thriller Snowpiercer is slated to premiere on TNT May 31.

The show stars Daveed Diggs, Jennifer Connelly, Annalise Basso and Alison Wright. It follows survivors of a cataclysmic event who endlessly circle a frozen world on a train where people are rigidly separated into classes.

Snowpiercer has already been renewed for a second season.

(more here)

Susan

I'm looking forward to the second season.  :thumbsup1:

Steve

Second season? The first hasn't even been aired yet.  :P

Susan

Quote from: Steve on 01/16/20 at 11:02 AM
Second season? The first hasn't even been aired yet.  :P

Just ignore that, I think I must have been thinking of the movie.  :blush1:   It's old age, don't ya know.  :lol:

Steve

Susan

Steve

I knew you were thinking of the movie but you know me, can't pass up a teasing opportunity.  :kiss:

Steve

Premieres 5/17/20 with a second season already approved.

Susan

I'm eagerly waiting for this one ....  :thumbsup1:

Steve

Steve

Was interesting ... at least enough for me to keep watching for a bit.

Steve

'Snowpiercer' Season 2 to begin Jan. 25

Season 2 of the sci-fi drama, Snowpiercer, is set to premiere Jan. 25, TNT said Thursday.

Based on a 1982 graphic novel and a 2013 film of the same name, the show stars Jennifer Connelly, Daveed Diggs, Rowan Blanchard and Sean Bean.

It is about the passengers of a perpetually moving train that circumnavigates a frozen Earth.

"In Season 2, an entirely new power struggle emerges, causing a dangerous rift as people are divided between their loyalty to Layton (Diggs) and to Mr. Wilford (Bean,) who has a new train, new technology and a game plan that keeps everyone guessing," a news release noted.

"While Layton battles Wilford for the soul of Snowpiercer, Melanie (Connelly) leads the charge on a shocking new discovery that could change the fate of humanity."

Season 1 will be available to binge starting Jan. 1 on HBO Max.

(more here)

Steve

TNT orders Season 3 of 'Snowpiercer' ahead of Season 2 premiere

[hr style="border: 2px solid #1e90ff;"]

TNT said Tuesday it has renewed its sci-fi drama Snowpiercer for a third season.

Its second season premiere is set for Monday.

Starring Daveed Diggs, Jennifer Connelly, Lena Hall, Rowan Blanchard and Sean Bean, the graphic novel adaptation is about the passengers of a perpetually moving train that circumnavigates a frozen Earth.

"We've been renewed for a 3rd season!!!!!! @SnowpiercerTV @tntdrama now you just gotta watch season 2 to see who survives!!!!" Hall tweeted.

[plainbox]Is he good? Is he evil? No. He is Wilford. pic.twitter.com/NWSqUEyosWâ€" Snowpiercer on TNT (@SnowpiercerTV) January 17, 2021[/plainbox]
(more here)

[hr style="border: 2px solid #1e90ff;"]

Steve

'Snowpiercer' Season 3 trailer introduces Archie Panjabi, warm spots

[hr style="border: 2px solid #00b900;"]

[left-indent][/left-indent]

TNT released the trailer for Snowpiercer Season 3 on Tuesday. The show returns Jan. 24 at 9 p.m. EST on TNT.

The Snowpiercer train has been driving around the earth for seven years with the only survivors of a new ice age. Season 3 offers hope there may be some more survivors.

Some places on Earth are warming. A new survivor named Asha (Archie Panjabi) claims to come from New Eden.

Mr. Wilford (Sean Bean) and Ruth Wardell (Alison Wright) make examples of traitors to keep the rest of the train in line.

Snowpiercer regulars Jennifer Connelly, Daveed Diggs, Iddo Goldberg, Mickey Sumner, Sheila Vand, and more appear in clips from the new season. A shielded figure walking atop the train, characters cross country skiing and explosions promise more excitement in Season 3.

The show is based on the 2013 movie Snowpiercer directed by Bong Joon-ho, which itself was adapted from French comic book by Jacques Lob and Jean-Marc Rochette. Graeme Manson developed the TNT adaptation.

(more here)

[hr style="border: 2px solid #00b900;"]

Steve

'Snowpiercer' to end with Season 4

TNT confirmed Friday that its dystopian drama, Snowpiercer, will end with its upcoming fourth season.

Deadline.com said production on Season 4 is now underway.

The cast's options were not picked up for a fifth season, paving the way for the stars to take other jobs.

Featuring Daveed Diggs, Jennifer Connelly and Sean Bean, the sci-fi thriller set on a high-speed train was the final remaining original scripted series on TNT now that Animal Kingdom is kicking off its last season Sunday.

"We can confirm that Snowpiercer will end after a successful, multi-season run on TNT," a network representative said in a statement to The Hollywood Reporter.

"Its talented writers, actors and crew took an extraordinary premise and brought it to life in thrilling ways. It was critically acclaimed, had a significant impact on the post-apocalyptic genre, and now remains in the hearts and minds of fans forever."

(more here)

Steve

TNT won't air final season of 'Snowpiercer'

TNT has announced it will not air the fourth and final season of its sci-fi drama, Snowpiercer, as planned.

"We can confirm that TNT will not air Season 4 of Snowpiercer," the cable network said in a statement Friday.

"This was a difficult decision, but our admiration for the talented writers, actors and crew who brought Snowpiercer's extraordinary post-apocalyptic world to life remains strong. We have been working collaboratively with the producers since last year to help the series find a new home where fans can continue to enjoy the compelling story and exceptional visual experience. We look forward to working with them on future projects."

The show was the last scripted series on TNT, which has been restructuring since its parent company Warner Bros. merged with Discovery.

Snowpiercer's producers are shopping the show around in the hopes of finding a new home for it.

"We love Snowpiercer and believe Season 4 completes a story with incredible talent that will entertain viewers while exploring issues of climate change and class warfare. We are so passionate about this series that we have acquired the rights to control the franchise," Tomorrow Studios' Marty Adelstein, CEO/Partner, and Becky Clements, President/Partner, said in a statement.

"We hope to find the perfect partner shortly and finish a great ride with the final season."

Based on Bong Joon-ho's 2013 movie, Snowpiercer stars Daveed Diggs, Jennifer Connelly, Sean Bean, Iddo Goldberg, Katie McGuinness, Rowan Blanchard and Roberto Urbina. It is about the crew and passengers of a train that continuously circles a frozen world.

(more here)